Listed Building record MDR8936 - Stancliffe Hall, Darley Dale
Type and Period (2)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Stuart to Victorian - 1690 AD? to 1900 AD)
- WINTER GARDEN (Victorian - 1885 AD to 1885 AD)
4Stancliffe Hall comprises a late 17th century range with considerable enlargements in 1872 and 1879 for Sir Joseph Whitworth. The winter garden was added in 1885. The building is in ashlar with two storeys and attics. (1) The first house at Stancliffe may have been built in c. 1520 by Humphrey Columbell. The house was taxed on ten hearths in 1670, when it belonged to Robert Senior of Bridgetown. His heirs sold it in 1700 to Sir Paul Jenkinson, who appears to have rebuilt the old house, creating a double-pile house in the famous Stancliffe Stone from the quarry below the house. It had a six-bay west front with gabled attic dormers and with ball finials and cross windows. The front, with two conjoined straight coped gables, had five bays with a central entrance and this house still forms the south-west angle of the present Hall. In the late 1860s, the then owner added three bays and another gable to the south front, with a new front containing the entrance behind. In 1879 an eight-bay range was added to the old west front, completed in 1885. This range was carried around the north, where a new service wing was provided, returning to the east to enclose a courtyard. A monument porch was also built. In 1885 a vaulted iron and glass winter garden in Paxtonesque style was added as an extension to the south front, subsequently demolished in the 20th century. The estate was broken up by sale in 1895, when the house and grounds were sold to a clergyman called Owen. He founded a school in the last years of the 19th century, an institution that continued throughout the 20th century, finally closing in July 2001. (2) A watching brief carried out prior to the construction of a new glasshouse revealed a stone-built drain in the foundation trench. Nearby was the lower coursing of a former drystone wall, most likely a garden boundary wall. Where the trench came up against the surviving walling of the winter garden, it was found to have been substantially built to support the weight of the metal and glass framework that had been above it. The tessellated flooring that remained from the winter garden was cleaned and recorded; not being intact, parts of it were removed to be displayed elsewhere in the Hall. (3)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 3285.
- <2> SDR19744 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. pp 203=204.
- <3> SDR20899 Unpublished document: Sheppard, R (TPA). 2009. Archaeological Recording and Watching Brief at Stancliffe Hall, Darley Dale, Matlock, Deryshire, 2008.
- <4> SDR24624 Unpublished document: Sheppard, R (TPA). 2013. Historic Building Appraisal of the Former Chapel, Stancliffe Hall, Darley Dale, near Matlock.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 267 639 (114m by 93m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||DARLEY DALE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2020 11:54AM