Monument record MDR8949 - Cairn: T50
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 2486 6280]: T50. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor (1), approximately 215 yds NE of T2, which has been positively identified by the RCHME survey (2). It is depicted as being immediately S of a SW -NE running path. Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes, (3). Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1966 failed to identify this cairn (see OS Record Card SK 26 SW 36). In a later study of monuments on Stanton Moor, a feature recorded on the accompanying survey, at the position indicated for T50 on Heathcote's location map, is described as an excavated oval cairn, measuring 9m NS by 6m EW (4). A further survey describes it as being mutilated and being 1ft high (5). In a more recent survey, T50 is described as being flat-topped, and sub-rectangular in shape. (6). RCHME FIELD DESCRIPTION SK 24843 62825. At a position 175m NE of T2 and immediately south of the same path depicted on Heathcote's location map, are the remians of the excavated cairn T50. The form of the monument appears more complex than suggested by previous commentators, this being greatly influenced by the extensive excavations which have taken place, as well as possible partial rebuilding. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. From the confused form of the present monument, and lack of an excavation report, any ascription as to function must be conjectural, although the obvious kerbing and proximity to a cluster of proven burial cairns, may imply a similar, funerary context for this cairn.
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160.
- <3> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <5> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 80.
- <6> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p. 74, 76.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24844 62826 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM