Monument record MDR8970 - Doctor's Gate (possible route of) through Hope parish
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Roman road. NGR: SK 171850 - SK 154882 & SK 181827 - SK 171850. (1) Possibly a prehistoric trackway improved in Roman times. (2,3) In 2004 an intermittent watching brief was conducted during the opening of a pipe trench along the middle of Eccles Lane for a length of just over 1km. Six separate sections were inspected, a total of approx. 306m. With one exception, stratified deposits revealed by the inspected lengths of trench did not vary significantly, generally comprising tarmac over a build-up of rubble or metalling that in turn overlay natural deposits. The only datable artefact found was a rim sherd from a probable item of 18th century kitchen-ware that appeared to have been deposited with the metalling. This does little to support the proposal that Eccles Lane has Roman or earlier origins. The exception referred to above was at SK 17244 83164, where the upper part of the metalling included as many as four distinct layers. This was opposite a gateway, the other side of which is an earthwork terrace, and could indicate that an earlier route followed this terrace before turning north-west along what is now Eccles Lane. (4)
- <1> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 8148.1.
- <2> SDR3992 Article in serial: Cockerton, R W. 1933. 'The Doctors Gate', The Derbyshire Countryside. Volume 3, pp 19-20, 39-40.
- <3> SDR19950 Bibliographic reference: Dodd, A & Dodd, E. 2000. Peakland Roads & Trackways, 3rd edition. pp 36-39.
- <4> SDR21297 Unpublished document: Garton, D & Guilbert, G. 2009. Archaeological Excavations and Watching Briefs in 2004 on the Route of a New Sewer and Related Works between Severn Trent Water Treatment Plants near Laneside Farm, Hope, and by Stretfield Road, Bradwell, Derbyshire. Section 7, pp 52-56.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1740 8274 (272m by 980m)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 11:57AM