After opening an Anglian barrow at Wyaston [SMR 19502] on 10-September-1852, Samuel Carrington opened 'a smaller barrow, at a short distance' immediately afterwards but found nothing. The mound was composed of thin layers of differently coloured earth, amongst whch dark brown, approaching to black, predominated. (1) No trace of second barrow was seen in 1966, but a tree mound was noted at SK 1909 4197. (2)
Carrington describes a small earthen mound, probably a turf stack, near SMR 19502. There is no extant barrow near this site now and it is presumed destroyed or lost. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 189.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 16:12.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 19 42 (point) (Approximate)
EDLASTON AND WYASTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2019 3:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.