This mill, also known as Snape's Mill, was built on the Markeaton Brook in an area known as the 'West End of Derby' and is probably the mill shown there on Burdett's map. The actual date when the first mill was built is unclear. An old print shows the last mill to have been a three-storey building, with a large extension to the side. The tail water outlet is visible and it seems reasonable from the site that the wheel was undershot, or possibly breast shot. There was a large dam at the rear of the mill which powered the waterwheel and drove the three pairs of stones. A steam engine, the chimney for which could be seen in contemporary drawings and paintings, powered French burr stones used for white flour. In common with many other mills there was an adjacent kiln which was used to dry the corn or oats before grinding, together with other machinery used for cleaning and dressing the flour. The mill was the scene of some of the corn rioting of 1756. It generally processed corn but by the 1890s its main product was oatmeal, many tons being made each week for distribution throughout the Midland counties. It was operated at that time by Messrs. W & G Brown, who had their main offices in Derwent Street. The mill was demolished in about 1912 and Moore, Eady & Murcott Goode built the Britannia knitwear mill on the site in Markeaton Street. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34223 36735 (205m by 183m) (Approximate)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2017 4:29PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.