A mill at Shirley is listed in Domesday Book, worth two shillings. The last mill on the Shirley Brook was built in brick in about 1800, replacing an earlier mill. The mill was operated latterly by Frank Wright Ltd of Ashbourne. The breastshot wheel was about 15ft in diameter and 6ft wide, driving four pairs of stones, one of which was a French burr. The mill had a kiln, with cast iron plates supported on iron beams, for the drying of grain. Some time before the Second World War a boy was 'trapped in the machinery' and killed and the waterwheel was removed on the instructions of Sir Ian Walker, owner of the Osmaston Estate. Soon after the war, the now derelict mill was demolished and presently only the mill house and the water channels remain. Thomas Salt was miller in 1835, William Gilman in 1875 and John Kent in 1895. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 21235 40970 (125m by 209m) (Approximate)
SHIRLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2014 4:21PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.