Monument record MDR899 - Round barrow (south-westerly of a pair), Wyaston Road, Osmaston
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Dimensions: diameter 78 ft; height 1.1m (4 ft). South-westerly of a pair of barrows [see SMR 24002 also] . This one has a central hole. (1) One of an impressive group of tumuli varying in height from 1m to 4m and in diameter from 16m to 50m. Continuous farming has mutilated the mounds but in stature they are among the finest in the county. Resurveyed at 1/2500. (3) Located on the crest of an undulating broad ridge. The barrow is ploughed over and is 0.7m high upslope and 1.3m downslope. The centre is slightly uneven and hence may have been disturbed (but subsequently ploughed). Original diameter probably c. 20m. (5) The two bowl barrows [see SMR 24002 also] are located in the northern part of Osmaston Fields, situated on the southern ridges of the Derbyshire Peak District. The monument includes both barrows within a single area and also the surrounding construction ditches which are buried beneath accumulated soil. The south-western barrow is a roughly circular mound measuring 27m by 26m and standing c. 0.75m high. The north-eastern barrow is sub-circular and slightly smaller at 27m by 24m by c.0.6m high. Both barrows are of earth construction and have had their profiles gradually lowered by ploughing in the past. There has been no recorded excavation at either site but a Bronze Age date has been assigned to them as they form part of a scattered group of barrows, other examples of which have been found to contain Bronze Age remains. See scheduling description for more details. (7)
- <1> SDR15127 Index: TPAT 2324.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 81.
- <3> SDR6363 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
- <4> SDR6549 Personal Observation: F2 DJC 19-MAR-74.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 16:5.
- <6> SDR7143 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1963. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 94-96. p 95.
- <7> SDR19080 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1992. Two bowl barrows at Osmaston Fields, north. 13323. Cat. No. 166.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1837 4468 (21m by 20m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||OSMASTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2014 10:37AM