Monument record MDR8999 - Former quarries, Parsons Hills, Repton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There are extensive signs of quarrying along the bluff overlooking the River Trent to the west of Repton. It is not known whether the land was quarried for marl or stone or when the quarrying took place. There is a documentary reference to quarried stone being used at Tutbury on the curtain wall on the north-west side of the castle from the motte to the gateway, c. 1408. (1, 2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Index: NDAT. 2285. 2285.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Colvin, H. M. (ed.). 1963. History of the King's Works. (Vol II?). p. 848.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 296 270 (587m by 200m) (Approximate)
Civil Parish REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 15 2016 4:45PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.