Monument record MDR9011 - Walton monastic grange, Walton, Holymoorside and Walton
Type and Period (1)
- GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Walton Grange is mentioned in a Derbyshire Charter of 1397. (1). There is a reference to 'Walton Graunge' in 1545, possibly relating to the later site of Grangewood Farm. The grange belonged to the Gilbertine House at Sempringham. (2, 3).
- <1> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p. 321.
- <2> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2952.
- <3> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 155.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 376 689 (140m by 148m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLYMOORSIDE AND WALTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2015 2:39PM