(Medieval to Post Medieval - 1296 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
A park at 'Hogh(e)' is mentioned in 1309 in the Calendar of Patent Rolls and in 1327, as 'Hogh park' in the Calendar of Close Rolls. It is referred to as 'the Houghe Park' in 1611. (1)
The park is depicted enclosed by a park pale on Saxton's map of 1577. (2)
There are references to Hough Park in the Kniveton Leiger, which contains over 500 charters covering almost 60 years between 1250 and 1310. The name should not, however, be associated with the 'Hoge' of Domesday Book, which is now thought to have been at Hoon. The documentary evidence is taken to indicate that between 1250 and 1310 there was no vill in the area of Hough Park. One charter in the Kniveton Leiger was witnessed at 'Le Hough'. It is suggested that the use of 'Le' is very significant and it is proposed that there was in existence just the park of Hough with, at most, one building in it, and that 'Le Hough' referred to the ridge of land within the park. (3)
With almost the whole of Hough Park much altered by ploughing, there is little field evidence and it is difficult to estimate the size of the park; the largest probable area deduced from documentary sources is suggested on the map. The evolution of this park, together with neighbouring Mansell [SMR 21302], is complicated and the two are intertwined, sharing a history of changing land-holdings in the early 13th century. Robert of Ashbourne, who died in 1253, founded a private 'oratorio' in 'manerio meo de Holendo', which may also have been when the building on the moated site [SMR 8401] was established. At this time too 'La Turrette de le Hough' is first mentioned. This 'Turrette' may have been some type of tower or standing overlooking the park, possibly on or near the high point at SK24194590, although there is no evidence for this. By the beginning of the 14th century the park was held by Roger de Bradbourne, whose descendants later founded a chantry within the chapel at Hough. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p 574.
Map: Saxton, C. Map of Derbyshire, 1577.
Article in serial: Crisp, B, Rich, B, Wiltshire, M & Woore S. 2002-2003. 'Hough and Hoon, Derbyshire', Journal of the English Place-Name Society. Volume 35, pp 45-48.
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp 96-97.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 24493 45589 (1119m by 1800m) (Approximate)
HULLAND, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 15 2017 10:07AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.