Monument record MDR9051 - Merry Tom Mine, lead mine (or Trusty Friend Mine)
Type and Period (1)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Merry Tom mine, also known as Trusty Friend Mine, was worked from about 1750 to 1880; there are three known levels on the vein having a vertical range of about 300ft (1) The entrance to the Lower Level adit, just below the B5023 Middleton Road, is almost set into a wall which supports the road. The level enters a stope where some stout wooden staging still survives. (1) The Merry Tom Vein has been heavily worked and three levels were driven along it, the lowest running just under the B5023 road to Middleton. In the mid 19th c. the title to Merry Tom Vein included Cityfolds Vein which crosses it at right angles. The founder meer and shaft of Cityfolds are immediately NE of Merry Tom, indicating that it was discovered by the working of the latter. In May 1865, William Brooks, a Middleton miner, sold the combined title to these veins for £5 to Wass and Nehemiah Doxey. In 1884, E. Brooks, another Middleton miner owned part of the title and it seems that he bought Doxey's shares in both this and the Thumper Sitch titles. A. H. Stokes (1880) commented that Merry Tom was named after the unusual personality of one of the miners. (2)
- <1> SDR19316 Article in serial: Arthur, D (PDMHS). 1992. 'The Mines of the Via Gellia', Peak District Mines Historic Society, 63. 63. p. 10.
- <2> SDR19315 Article in serial: Peak District Mines Historical Society (PDMHS). Dec. 1977. 'The Individual Mines', Bulletin Peak District Mines Historical Society. Vol 6, No. 6. p. 139-141, 147.
- <3> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Merry Tom Mine.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 26373 56393 (92m by 81m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 21 2018 2:31PM