Built in 1792 by W Allsop on a minor tributary of the River Ecclesbourne, this mill is marked on Greenwood's map in 1825 and on the 1836 Ordnance map. John Holbrook and Sons took it over soon after and operated the mill until 1939. It was a typical three storey stone building with a kiln alongside. The top floor had grain bins and a sack hoist, the middle floor two pairs of French millstones, one pair of grey stones and one pair of shulling stones for oats. It was demolished in 1950 and only the dam now survives. (1)
The OS map of 1900 marks the 'Mill Lade' running south-eastwards from the mill. (2) Sanderson's map of 1835 suggests that the straight stretch of the Ecclesbourne leading to the mill from the north-west may originally have been the head race. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B50, p 96.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLIV.3, 1900.
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 30853 46437 (point)
SHOTTLE AND POSTERN, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2011 1:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.