Small Methodist chapel, built in 1849 by the mineworker/evangelist Joseph Fletcher in the face of opposition from the Roman Catholic Hunloke family who owned most of the parish. Fletcher's own account of the founding of the chapel is in his book 'Food for the Flock', published in 1859. (1, 2)
The Methodist Chapel is built from coursed squared Coal Measures Sandstone with ashlar dressings, quoins, coped gables with moulded kneelers, and a Welsh slate roof. The north-east elevation has a gable to the street, with central doorway and flanking single-light window, all with steeply pointed arched heads. The Doorway has an ashlar surround, the door is plain planked, with pointed arched overlight. The windows have ashlar surrounds, and diamond-paned cast-iron frames with rectangular margin panes. There is a plain band course at kneeler level, and inscribed tablet on the gable apex which reads 'SALEM INDEPENDENT CHAPEL 1849'. The side elevations each have two pointed arched windows with cast-iron frames. (3)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(b).1, photo.
Photograph: Various sources. SMR Slide Collection.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 36230 66976 (point)
WINGERWORTH, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2017 3:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.