Langwith Upper Mill. This mill stood on the River Poulter and was clearly operating in the early 19th century. It is not marked on Burdett's map of 1767 but does feature, as a mill symbol, on Greenwood's map of 1825. It was still standing in the 1930s when it was reported that 'all the machinery is of wood'. In 1828 John Jarvis was the miller, with William Bunting from 1829 to 1835, followed by John Bunting, 1842-57. (1)
The mill, together with a long, relatively narrow, mill pond to the west, are shown on Sanderson's map of 1835. (2). It is named as 'Old Flour Mill' on the OS map of 1898. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. C27, p 126.
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXVI.12, 1898.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 51731 69404 (339m by 204m) (Approximate)
SCARCLIFFE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.