Monument record MDR909 - Wolfscote Hill Bowl Barrow, 300m north-east of Wolfscote Grange, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (4)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
The large conspicuous barrow on the summit of Wolfscote Hill was opened on the 23rd August 1843, on the 14th June 1851 and at some time in the 18th century (1). The later excavations revealed a cist containing two inhumations and an urn. The centre proved to have been disturbed and only fragments of two urns and skeletons were found. (1,2,8). A large stony barrow in good condition, resurveyed at 1:2500 in 1966. (3). SK 13705832. Tumulus. (4). In a depression on the north east top, part of a cist is visible with loose stones filling most of its hole. Located on National Trust property and having an Ordnance Survey pillar on top, this barrow receives more attention from the public than those on private land, and its condition whilst still average is suffering accordingly. (5). SK 137584. Wolfscote Hill round cairn, seven foot high with a 75 foot diameter. It became a scheduled monument on the 23rd November 1992. Wolfscote Hill bowl barrow is a large, well preserved barrow situated on the highest point of Wolfscote Hill and visible over a very wide area. Located on the south-western ridges of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire, the monument includes a sub-circular cairn measuring 26 metres by 24½ metres, standing c. two metres high and encircled by a rock-cut ditch c. four metres wide. Partial excavations carried out by Bateman in 1843 or 1844 and Carrington in 1851 revealed a roofless cist containing two child skeletons and a food vessel. The centre of the barrow was found to have been disturbed prior to the excavations and contained many scattered bones and the fragments of two urns. A single edge-set stone, or orthostat, can also be seen within the cairn. (6,10). Wolfscote Hill barrow is located on the prominent crest of a hill with good visibility in all directions. It is 26 metres in length, 24½ metres in height and 1.7 metres high. It was excavated by Bateman in 1843 and by Carrington in 1851. Bateman discovered a cist of limestones, without a capstone. At the bottom were two young children and a crushed 'urn' (Food Vessel?). In the centre were some sherds of 'urns', bones of two inhumations and animal bones. Carrington opened two trenches, uncovering splinters of human bone and flint flakes. (12). Photographic record. (13).
- <1> SDR16132 Bibliographic reference: Pilkington, J. 1798. A View of the Present State of Derbyshire. Vol. 2, pp 424-425. pp 424-425.
- <2> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p47.
- <3> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p177.
- <4> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <5> SDR6296 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 05-JUL-66.
- <6> SDR6527 Personal Observation: 1972. F2 BHS.
- <7> SDR7678 Article in serial: Strange, P. 1968. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 88. P88.
- <8> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p49.
- <9> SDR9733 Index: NDAT. 1133. 1133.
- <10> SDR5318 Bibliographic reference: 1978. DOE (IAM) AMs Eng 3. 245.
- <11> SDR11679 Unpublished document: Smith, K. 1989. Notes. 24.04.89.
- <12> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 9.1.
- <13> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 70231.1-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1371 5832 (21m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2007 12:16PM