Smalley Mill was advertised in the Derby Mercury in 1790 as 'all that water corn mill with three pairs of stones, dressing mill, in complete repair'. It is named on the 1836 Ordnance Survey map but little more is known about it. The local minister, Rev. Kerry, wrote in 1905 that 'the water mill is tenantless and is hastening to decay. The water supply to the mill pond is not so copious as it was fifty years ago, probably due to colliery working'. The mill had a kiln attached but the entire stone complex was demolished in 1965, although the site of the mill pond can still be recognised. (1)
The mill and mill pond are shown on Sanderson's map of 1835. (2)
The Ordnance Survey map of 1900 marks the mill as disused and indicates that the eastern end of the large mill pond was beginning to silt up. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B51, p 97.
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLV.11, 1900.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 39829 43305 (point) (Approximate)
SMALLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 14 2015 4:04PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.