A mill by the River Dove is marked on Greenwood's map of 1825. Kelly's directory in 1875 has W Titterton as the miller and in 1895 names the mill as 'Sidesmill', with William Thorley as the miller. The mill building is no longer present but the leat from the River Dove can still be seen. (1)
The OS map of 1900 names the mill as 'Sides Mill (Disused)'. It shows a weir extending across the River Dove and a long mill race (2)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B52, p 97.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheets XLII.8, XLIII.5, 1900.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 14843 44136 (point) (Approximate)
SNELSTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2014 2:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.