Monument record MDR9099 - Boundary wall, between Gallowlow Lane & Gotham Curve, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Drystone boundary wall, approximately 1½ metres high made from irregular limestone blocks. At the point of two separate bridges, it becomes a large retaining wall with butresses holding up the embankment. There is are two breaks in the wall for level-crossings. The wall goes over the top of a cutting and is incorporated within the top edge of it in some places. The wall then widens to go round the old site of Minninglow Goods Yard next to the road, where it breaks for the entrance to a car-park. At the bridge (SMR 30543) it becomes a drystone retaining wall, approximately five metre high for an embankment (SMR 11565), with a small boundary wall on top at track level. The wall continues over the top of a cutting (SMR 11566) and dips down into it where the top of the rock-face is uneven. The wall takes a 90 degree turn and continues behind a quarry, then rejoins the track. The wall stops a level-crossing (SMR 11570) and continues as a boundary wall towards Gotham Grange. (1-9). NGR: SK 20520 57254 - SK 18767 58473
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature no: 194.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. p268, 280.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XXXIII. p2, 6, 7.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR19340 Bibliographic reference: Blakemore, M & Mosley, D. 2003. Railways of the Peak District. p47, 50.
- <7> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p6, 9-10.
- <8> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p87,90.
- <9> SDR19341 Bibliographic reference: Coleford, I C. 1996. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p1, 25.
|Grid reference||SK 19869 58274 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2017 4:59PM