Skip to main content

Monument record MDR9104 - Shacklecross Lock, Derby Canal, Borrowash, Ockbrook

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A red-brick lock chamber with blue brick repairs. Stonework around the sills and gate pivots. The ground paddle apertures are clearly visible. (1) The Sandiacre line of the Derby Canal was opened in 1796. Commerical traffic ceased in 1945 and the canal was officially abandoned in 1964. A voluntary society has been formed with the aim of restoring the canal to full navigation and small sections are being restored on a piecemeal basis as resources permit. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 36.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p 35.



Grid reference SK 42082 34037 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 8 2015 10:58AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.