Landscape record MDR9105 - Milepost, Derby Road, Wingerworth
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to 21st Century - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD)
Milepost on the road between Derby and Chesterfield via Oakerthorpe. Width 20", height of back plate 15½". Manufactured by J Heywood Junr, Derby. (1) Cast iron milepost on the present A61, previously the Chesterfield-Derby turnpike road. C18-C19. (2) On the old Chesterfield-Derby turnpike there stands a milepost of cast iron by J Haywood Jr, Phoenix Foundry, Derby. (3) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK36NE WINGERWORTH DERBY ROAD 1264- /6/10013 Milepost at SK 388 674 - II Milepost. Early C19. Triangular cast-iron post with sloping triangular upper face, the back of the post extended upwards to carry an inscription, and terminating in a segmental arched head. Below the segmental head, the inscription ?TOWNSHIP OF WINGERWORTH?, below which, on the sloping upper face, is recorded the manufacturer: ?J HAYWOOD JNR, DERBY?. South face of milepost reads: ?CHESTERFIELD 2 MILES, DRONFIELD 8 MILES, SHEFFIELD 14 MILES?. North face reads: ?CLAY CROSS 3 MILES, DERBY 21 MILES?.' (4)
- <1> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/WIN/02.
- <2> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 14.1.
- <3> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 42.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1259564.
|Grid reference||SK 38897 67390 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WINGERWORTH, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2019 2:02PM