A mill is not shown on Burdett's map of 1767 but one appears on Greenwood's of 1825 and on the first edition of the OS map it is shown with the name 'Somershall Mill', a little to the south of the village, on the Marston Brook. It was advertised in the Derby Mercury in 1805 as 'Corn Mill to Let'. No millers' names have been found in the trade directories but the name 'Mill Farm' still appears on modern OS maps. The site of the mill is currently a builder's yard with no evidence of its previous occupation. (1)
The 1st ed. OS map, surveyed in 1880, shows a building named 'Somershallmill' at the southern end of a long mill race that widened into a long narrow pond. The mill itself is not referred to on the map, and presumably had already gone out of use and ?been demolished. (2) By 1901 the southern half of the mill race and the whole of the narrow pond are shown on the OS map as earthworks. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B53, p 97.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheets XLVII.16, LII.4.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheets XLVII.16, LII.4, 1901.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 13236 34526 (point)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2015 11:36AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.