Monument record MDR9111 - Minninglow Quarry, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- LIMESTONE QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Minninglow quarry. Disused limestone quarry. The quarry area is approximately 120 metres long, 40 metres wide and the quarry face is approximately 10 metres high. Quarrying has created a flat shelf stretching for approximately 70 metres along the length of the quarry adjacent to a siding. This shelf is approximately 1.5 metres above the level of the siding and was probably used as a loading dock. On the surface, two sections of the track (0.5 metres) apart overhang the siding, and may have been connected with wagon loading. (1-7).
- <1> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIII.7.
- <3> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <4> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p9.
- <5> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 279.
- <6> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature no: 198.
- <7> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 966. pp 1-3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 20530 57613 (91m by 123m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2012 8:12AM