Monument record MDR9119 - Stone railway bridge, 370m south-east of Gotham granges, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (2)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TUNNEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Stone bridge made of irregular, mortared, limestone blocks, with larger regular blocks for quoins at the corners of the tunnel. The archway is made of one course of large regular blocks beginning approximately two metres from the bottom. The bridge was constructed first and a drystone embankment was built up against it. The bridge splays outwards at the bottom. Large regular limestone slabs/lintels mark the top of the bridge, separating it from the drystone boundary wall above. The tunnel is approximately four metres wide, 11 metres long and four metres high. The bridge is approximately eight metres wide and five metres high. (1-5).
- <1> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 289.
- <2> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 207.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XXXIII.6.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 19379 58184 (18m by 44m) (GPS derived)|
|Civil Parish||PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2008 2:48PM