Monument record MDR9136 - Loading wharf, Friden Goods Yard, Hartington Nether Quarter
Type and Period (1)
- GOODS STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Approximately 50 metres of large, regular well-dressed, mortared gritsone slabs, (many are reused stone sleepers), in a straight line. The loading wharf is located at SK 17231 60738 to SK 17269 60716. At first sloping up from ground level as the approach to the wharf, but then at an even level, as the wharf itself. Today the ground has been raised to create a unifrom slope and so covering the old drop to the rail siding below the wharf. Metal fittings rise out of several of the gritsone blocks on the wharf. The siding that once led from the main track to the wharf is now buried beneath the new bank and vegetation. (1-6). The loading wharf is first recorded on the 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore it was built in the early 19th century. (7).
- <1> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 304-305.
- <2> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature no: 223.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p51.
- <5> SDR19343 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. Scenes from the Past: 37 (Part One) Railways of the High Peak. 'Whaley Bridge to Friden'. p73, 75.
- <6> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p96.
- <7> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||SK 17253 60724 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON NETHER QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2012 8:14AM