Monument record MDR9137 - Friden Goods Yard, Hartington Nether Quarter
Type and Period (1)
- GOODS YARD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Friden Goods Yard has been demolished and any possible remains lie under the present-day car park, picnic area and artificial bank between the track and the car-park. The gritstone blocks marking the edge of the loading wharf are all that survive today. A photo of the 1920s (7) shows that lost structures includes a goods shed, milk stage and rail stones. On the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (5), it appears that Friden Station was originally on the other side of the road at the current location of the brickworks. (2).
- <1> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 306.
- <2> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature no: 224.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <5> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XXXIII.2.
- <6> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p51.
- <7> SDR19343 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. Scenes from the Past: 37 (Part One) Railways of the High Peak. 'Whaley Bridge to Friden'. p73, 75.
- <8> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p81.
- <9> SDR19348 Bibliographic reference: Nicholson, C P & Barnes, P. 1975. Railways in the Peak District. p16.
|Grid reference||SK 17213 60738 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON NETHER QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2012 8:14AM