Monument record MDR9164 - Stone bridge, Parsley Hay: Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Stone / brick / skew bridge - nine metres wide and six metres high. Bridge with side walls/buttresses made from large, regular blocks of gritstone, with large gritstone slabs/lintels on top with raised carving on their sides. There are large, short, gritstone pillars at the ends of the walls with square gritstone slabs with raised carving to dome tops (roof-shaped). The sides of the bridge are also of gritstone. The tunnel is approximately five metres wide, 12 metres long and four metres high. Approximately three metres up the sides of the bridge and tunnel are carved gritstone slabs running all the way through the tunnel. Above, the arch is three courses of blue bricks with headers forming the end of the tunnel and set skew to form an arch. Above the bricks, are a set of moulded/carved gritstone slabs following the line of the arch. At track level there is a line of carved gritstone slabs/lintels separating the bridge from the boundary wall above. The boundary wall is of large regular gritstone blocks, topped with another line of carved lintels. One and a half metres into the tunnel, on both sides at at both ends, the gritsone blocks end and large regular limestone blocks form the middle of the tunnel. Carve marks, (possible makers marks, e.g. +, H), can be seen on the limestone blocks. There are small round holes in the centres of the gritsone blocks, these are not railway sleeper holes. (1-7). The bridge is recorded on the 1880 Ordnance Survey map and it therefore predates the map. (8).
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 251.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 335.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVII.8.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p53.
- <7> SDR19343 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. Scenes from the Past: 37 (Part One) Railways of the High Peak. 'Whaley Bridge to Friden'. p62, 64.
- <8> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||SK 14675 63625 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2007 11:50AM