Monument record MDR9168 - Early medieval occupation, Fox Meadow, Creswell
Type and Period (3)
- PIT (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- DITCH (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- SETTLEMENT ? (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
A watching brief in Fox Meadow during the replacement of a minewater pipeline between Creswell Colliery and Creswell Crags provided an opportunity to investigate the nature of features indicated on aerial photography. A number of ditch features were recorded in the trench cut and were tentatively correlated with features from the aerial surveys. Two broad phases of ditch cutting were identified, the ditches either being sealed by, or cutting colluvium. One of the ditches that was sealed by colluvium provided the only dating evidence, a worked timber stake. This provided a radiocarbon date of 809-926 cal. AD, suggesting Anglo-Saxon activity. (1, 2) Excavation in Fox Meadow prior to the construction of a proposed pumping station and pipeline easement revealed at least two ditches and a possible old ground surface. Material recovered included shell-tempered potsherds arguably consistent with a date in the later Anglo-Saxon period. One of the ditches also produced two closely spaced timbers, pile driven into the base of the ditch and preserved by water logging. Excellent preservation of both pollen and plant macrofossils was found. Three pits were also excavated, the dating and function of which is uncertain. Two fragments of Samian and three possible Anglo-Saxon sherds were recovered. (2)
- <1> SDR19362 Unpublished document: Wall, I (Creswell Heritage Trust). 1992. Archaeological & Palaeoecological Investigations during the Replacement of a Minewater Pipeline at Creswell Crags. SMR Doc. No. 79.
- <2> SDR19363 Unpublished document: Jones, H & Wall, I (TPAU). 2000. Creswell Sewage Treatment Works, A Report on the Watching Brief & Excavations at Crags Cottages Pumping Station and Fox Meadow, Derbyshire. SMR Doc. No. 513.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 53102 73838 (357m by 486m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:44PM