Monument record MDR9176 - Original trackbed, Cotesfield Farm: Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY TRACKBED (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Line of the old track which follows the contours of the land in a curved route before it was abandoned in favour of a straighter route which utilised embankments and cuttings, (the current track). The old track leaves the current track on Peak District National Park land, then enters private farmland, where it can be seen as an embankment and walls. A farm track crosses it and it continues as an embankment in a small wood. The modern embankment and track cuts over the top of the old embankment, obliterating any trace, and continues on the other side of the modern track as a cutting and walls. Rejoins the track at a cutting, where a clear earthwork divides the modern track and cutting from the old track; boundary wall (SMR 7100) cuts off access to the old track. (1-7) NGR: SK 13646 64343 - SK 13045 64750
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 257.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 342, 344, 346, 347.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XXVII.8.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 92.
- <7> SDR19342 Unpublished document: Featherstone, P.. 1971. Standing Archaeological Features on the Cromford and High Peak Railway.
|Grid reference||SK 13597 64402 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 31 2007 2:19PM