Monument record MDR92 - Round Barrow (site of), Hill Head, Hartington Upper Quarter
Type and Period (3)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
On the 5th June 1850 Bateman opened a barrow 'on the Hill Head'. He described it as follows: 'The mound is about twelve yards across, and presents the appearance of having been much reduced, the height being nowhere more than eighteen inches. The centre had been disturbed with the effect of displacing the skeletons of three or four persons and some calcined bones; the earth around did not appear to have been moved, as masses of rats' bones occupied their original level. Notwithstanding the unfavourable condition of the barrow, we collected 81 jet ornaments, composing a handsome necklace that had accompanied one of the skeletons, they comprise 53 cylindrical and 11 flat beads, 12 conical studs, and five out of the six dividing plates requisite to form the decoration: the plates are plain and the centre pair are perforated for eight beads to go between. It is likely that many more of the very small flat beads would have been found if the tumulus had not been before disturbed; those that were found being collected with much trouble from an area of many feet, instead of lying near the head of their owner. (1) The barrow was not located; it has probably been destroyed by quarrying. (2). The jet necklace is in Sheffield City Museum, Accession No. J93. 433. (4). The whole of the top of Hillhead was searched in December 1988 and no trace of a barrow was found. It is not known where this barrow originally stood but it was presumably somewhere on the hilltop, or Bateman would not have described it as "on" this hill. (5).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 66-67.
- <2> SDR6328 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 25-FEB-66.
- <3> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. pp 52-53.
- <4> SDR14500 Index: NDAT. 1064. 1064.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:38.
|Grid reference||SK 073 698 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 7 2014 3:09PM