Monument record MDR9259 - Double embankment, Wild Moor; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY EMBANKMENT (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Double embankment, approximately 30 to 40m high taking the Cromford & High Peak Railway track over Wildmoorstone Brook valley. There appears to be another embankment to the north, approximately 30 to 40m high, with the continuation of the valley on the other side. There is an area of low-lying land , approximately 20m high, between the two embankments. The second embankment forms a crescent-shaped curve, with both ends joining the main track. (1-5) NGR: SK 03210 74739 - SK 03122 74797 SK 032 748: Wild Moor, Railway Embankment: Double railway embankment each approximately 137.16 metres (150 yards) long. Sited on the Cromford & High Peak Railway between Buxton (Burbage) Tunnel and Goystones Lane. Two single earth track embankments, the most northerly being the original Cromford & High Peak Railway line; the inner one built under the auspices of the L and NNR. The original stretch was completed before 6.7.1831, the second, less severe curve being built by the LNWR in 1862 . (6-8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 338.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 437-438.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XIV.12.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index.
- <8> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Wild Moor embankment.
|Grid reference||SK 03172 74770 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2015 4:09PM