Site of former engine house and engineer's cottage, halfway up the Bunsal Incline. The Incline was originally split into two halves and this site, at the mid-pont, was at the top of the lower incline. This is also the point where wagons were hitched and un-hitched. (2)
This engine house and associated features was built in 1825-31 and was abandoned in 1857. The engine house was part way up the Bunsal Incline at the change of angle. In 1857 the incline was modified making the engine house redundant. The engine house was subsequently used at Grin Quarry to operate a crusher. The engine house was a substantial building built of gritstone ashlar, traces of which remain at the edge of a large engine pit within the building. Further, north west is the support for a winding drum. To the north east is an embanked reservoir fed by a leat which used to supply water to the steam engine in the winding house. The bed of the single line track next to the engine house can still be traced. (5)
The engineer's cottage stood to the south-west of the Cromford & High Peak Railway. Although there are no above ground remains of the structure, large masonry blocks can be seen, some of which may be stone sleeper blocks.
To the north-west of the Cromford & High Peak Railway, there is a small plateau, which was presumably the site of the engine house. There are the remains of two low walls/foundations at right angles to each other.
To the west is a a large depression, possibly the basement of a building. To the north of this point is a large block of masonry, with a large curved recess carved into it. Down the slope from this point, is an identical block that has tumbled down the hill. (7)
Some stone engineering montings can be seen lying on the surface nearby the the depression marking the former reservoir. The railway between Ladmanlow-Whaley Bridge was closed in 1892 putting the incline out of use as well. It was converted into a track for the new Erewood Reservoir in 1967. (8)
Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 347.
Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 449-454.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000. C&HPR: 160.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XIV.11.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. p 29.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. Scenes from the Past: 37 (Part One) Railways of the High Peak. 'Whaley Bridge to Friden'. p. 20.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 30.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 01993 75764 (110m by 75m) (Approximate)
HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2014 2:26PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.