Monument record MDR9292 - Railway bridge over the former Cromford and High Peak Railway, Whaley Bridge
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE (Victorian - 1863 AD to 1863 AD)
- None recorded
Railway bridge constructed of dressed gritstone blocks. The bridge allows the Cromford & High Peak Railway to pass beneath the London & North Western Railway. The bridge has now been filled in and only a small section remains visible. (1) This bridge carries the Whaley Bridge to Buxton line of the Stockport, Disley and Whaley Bridge (SD & WB) railway, which was opened in 16/06/1863. It was an extension of the line from Stockport to Whaley Bridge, which was opened in 1857. It became part of the London and North Western Railway in 1866. This Buxton extension had to pass over the Cromford and High Peak Railway (CHPR) in too short a distance from Whaley Bridge for it to have gained sufficient height to offer adequate headroom. The CHPR had to build a deviation to the south and to lower the line. Even this could give a maximum headroom of only 10ft 6in. On 25 February 1859 the SD & WB offered the CHPR compensation of £1500. A further £3100 was to be paid to the CHPR to enable it to make the diversion and to complete the works. (6)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 371.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 495.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000. C&HPR: 183.
- <4> SDR19341 Bibliographic reference: Coleford, I C. 1996. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p 16.
- <5> SDR19343 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. Scenes from the Past: 37 (Part One) Railways of the High Peak. 'Whaley Bridge to Friden'. p 4.
- <6> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. pp 30-32, inc. photograph.
- <7> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p 65.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 01156 80984 (13m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WHALEY BRIDGE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2021 9:15AM