Monument record MDR9299 - Engine house (site of), top of Whaley Bridge Incline; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Presumed site of a former engine house for Whaley Bridge Incline. The site is a flat piece of land at the top of the incline where The Cromford & High Peak Railway track is defined by a boundary wall. On the east side of the track, the wall widens creating a large recess. The engine was in use for a relatively short period before horses were re-introduced to pull loads up the incline.
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 378.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 506.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000. C&HPR: 185.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). VIII.11.
- <5> SDR19368 Map: OS. 2002. OS Explorer OL1 (2002).
- <6> SDR19343 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. Scenes from the Past: 37 (Part One) Railways of the High Peak. 'Whaley Bridge to Friden'. p. 10.
- <7> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 42.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 01280 81246 (1m by 1m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WHALEY BRIDGE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2015 2:00PM