A large gritstone warehouse dated 1832 at the southern end of the Peak Forest Canal Basin, but with what appears to be a different but now illegible date at the northern end . Now used as a garage. (1)
The first warehouse at Whaley Bridge was erected in July 1801. The lower two storeys of what was originally a three-storey building can be seen today at the north end of the present warehouse. A single storey extension to the south was built in 1832 which covered railway sidings on either side of the canal. The original warehouse lost its top storey in 1916. The internal drop-security door and its associated mechanism may still be seen within. (2)
Large, rectangular transhipment building, constructed of long regular gritstone blocks. There are three arches in the north and south sides of the building (the narrow ends). The middle arch is wide and squat for the canal to pass under, with a tall narrow arch on either side for trains or wagons to go through. There are large carefully dressed gritstone quoins around the arches and wooden shutters/doors to close the arches. The canal continues beyond the southern end of the building for approximately 6m. Above the southern canal arch there is a plaque bearing the inscription 'AD 1832'. The building has three double-sloping roofs, one above each archway, running the length of the building. On the eastern elevation, there are eight windows with gritstone lintels and sills. On the western elevation there are four windows, (at the south end), two on each side of a large wooden shuttered doorway. There are gritstone blocks and a wooden top to the doorway. At the northern end of the west side of the building there are three smaller windows and doorway with a wooden top. On the north side, the canal enters the centre of the building, through a long, low rectangular hole with a metal girder at the top and gritstone quoins. There is a large window above and another to the west, above this there is a small chimney. East of the boat entry point is a long rectangular hole divided in two by a large gritstone block, with gritstone quoins. Between the boat entry point and double doors there is a hoist fixed to the wall. A metal arm is attached to a central beam by two parallel iron rods. The central beam is fixed to the wall with a large iron bracket. At the base of the beam there are a series of cogs and wheels used to raise and lower the crane. (7)
Listed Grade II. (8)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 30.
Index: Lamb, B. Index Record for Industrial Sites, Peak Forest Canal. BL 06; BL 14.
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p 18.
Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. pp 62, 66.
Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. Scenes from the Past: 37 (Part One) Railways of the High Peak. 'Whaley Bridge to Friden'. p 9.
Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 514-517.
Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 383.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 44.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 01185 81622 (22m by 33m) (Approximate)
WHALEY BRIDGE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2015 2:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.