Monument record MDR9339 - Mineral railway, Dowlow Farm to Hillhead Frm; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- MINERAL RAILWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
2.8 miles of track, SK 11050 67330 - SK 07680 69980, which passes through land worked by Dowlow Works, Hindlow Quarry, Brierlow Quarry and Hillhead Quarry. This entire section of track is still in active use as a mineral railway serving the quarries, and was therefore not surveyed for the Cromford & High Peak Railway project. Some sections of the track follow the line of the original Cromford & High Peak Railway line, but the majority is the re-aligned route used by the Cromford & High Peak Railway after 1892. (1) NGR: SK 11050 67330 - SK 07680 69980
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 418.
- <2> SDR19343 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. Scenes from the Past: 37 (Part One) Railways of the High Peak. 'Whaley Bridge to Friden'. p. 1, 52-56.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000. C&HPR:111-113, 115-120.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXII.10/14/15.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 56, 64, 72.
- <7> SDR19341 Bibliographic reference: Coleford, I C. 1996. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 11.
- <8> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 13.
- <9> SDR19340 Bibliographic reference: Blakemore, M & Mosley, D. 2003. Railways of the Peak District. p. 44.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 09356 68640 (3403m by 2705m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2020 10:33AM