Monument record MDR9343 - Retaining Wall, High Peak Junction Branch Line, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- REVETMENT (Victorian - 1853 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
NGR: SK 31480 55665 - SK 31445 55731. Retaining wall 2.5m high. The first 1.5m from the bottom is constructed of mortared, rough-squared gritstone. Drystone construction above with crenallation. Some blocks at the bottom have diagonal pecked tooling and there is at least one re-used sleeper block. The wall is approximately 90m long. There is a drain at the north end of the wall which has been culveted under the trackbed. The north end is of drystone construction with no later added crenallation. (1)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 4.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 4.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.11.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 84-85.
- <7> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 22.
- <8> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 25.
- <9> SDR19341 Bibliographic reference: Coleford, I C. 1996. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 8.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3146 5569 (41m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM