Monument record MDR9360 - Locomotive Shed (site of), High Peak Junction, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- ENGINE SHED (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
Beyond Railway End or Brown's Bridge stood a small locomotive shed. The side doors onto the canal suggest that it was designed for goods to be transhipped between wagons and boats before the extension of the Cromford & High Peak Railway was built in 1853 to join the Midland main line. It was doubtless succeeded in its purpose by the larger transhipment shed that still exists a few hundred yards to the south, beside the track of the former extension to the main line. (1) Possible site of an engine shed at Cromford Goods. Heavy vegetation and destruction of the site make it difficult to interpret. However, it is known from photographs that the railway siding ran to this location adjacent to the canal. Low walls in the area may represent the remains of the engine shed. (2) Photographs of the engine shed show it standing before demolition. (10)
- <1> SDR19442 Bibliographic reference: Potter, H. 2003. The Cromford Canal. p 19, illust..
- <2> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 22.
- <3> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 47.
- <4> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 28-29.
- <5> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.11.
- <6> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 25, 84, 86.
- <7> SDR19340 Bibliographic reference: Blakemore, M & Mosley, D. 2003. Railways of the Peak District. p. 48.
- <8> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 73, 79, 82-83, 85-87.
- <9> SDR10751 Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p. 243.
- <10> SDR22724 Photograph: 1973. Photographs of engine shed on High Peak Junction.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3127 5605 (15m by 14m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2015 3:18PM