Monument record MDR9368 - Retaining Wall, Cromford Incline, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- REVETMENT (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
Retaining wall, measuring approximately 40m long, running from the signal indicator to the tunnel under the A6. The wall is approximately 6m high at the tunnel and 1m high at the signal indicator. Constructed from large regular, evenly dressed and coursed gritstone blocks, with an amount of tooling. It is possibly the original retaining wall, before the A6 tunnel was rebuilt. (1)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 30.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 40.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.11.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 71-72, 74, 80, 85.
- <7> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 23-24, 28.
- <8> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 69.
- <9> SDR10751 Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p. 107.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3127 5598 (53m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM