Monument record MDR9381 - Retaining Wall, Sheep Pasture Incline, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- REVETMENT (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
NGR: SK 30645 56135 - SK 30360 56170. Long drystone wall on the northern side of the tracks. The wall starts as a boundary wall then, as the trackbed rises up to go over Intake Lane, it becomes a retaining wall surrounding a bridge, where Intake Lane passes beneath. The wall is constructed in two phases, the upper portion is of irregular drystone construction, and the lower portion is of much larger, square-cut blocks laid in courses. At its highest points, the wall is reinforced with massive buttresses.
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 43.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 60, 62, 63, 65.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.11.
- <4> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3052 5614 (313m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM