Skip to main content

Monument record MDR9385 - Former Killamarsh GCR Station, Killamarsh

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Former GCR station buildings on Station Road, dating from the MSLR Beighton-Annesley extension of 1892. This was known as Killamarsh Central. Ornate, single storey wooden station building with slate roof and brick chimneys. The platforms are still in situ, complete with original gritstone copings. This is the only one of the three Killamarsh stations to survive. (1) The Killamarsh Central Station was constructed between 1890 and 1892 as a result of the railway extension of the line of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincoln Railway. Its name was changed to Great Central in 1897 when London became its ultimate destination. The station originally comprised two platforms with tracks linking Beighton and Annesley. The 2nd edition OS map of 1898 shows a double structure on both sides of the railway. This was still present in 1956 but the 1967 OS map shows that the western building had been demolished or dismantled. The station had closed in 1964 and subsequently the surviving building became the premises of Havenplan Ltd. This company has recently [2009] closed down. Prior to the redevelopment of the site for housing, a record was made of the surviving former railway station building before it was dismantled, to be reassembled on another site. A record was also made of the surviving platform structures. No buildings or canopy survive on the north-west side of the station except for the platform wall and edgings. Investigation revealed that the majority of the original main station building of the early 1890s, a timber framed structure, was still extant and in a good state of preservation. Later additions and alterations were also identified. The main building was made of timber frames covered in horizontal weather-boarding to the exterior and a mixed use of joint panelling and tongue and groove wainscoting applied to the interior. It had a slated pitched roof with four brick chimney stacks and a louvre lantern. Rooms included the booking hall, ticket office, several waiting rooms, freight room, ladies lavatory and, in a detached structure, gents lavatory. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 34.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Mora-Ottomano, A (ARS). 2009. Archaeological Building Recording at the former Killamarsh Central Station, Derbyshire.



Grid reference Centred SK 44813 80963 (61m by 98m) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2836

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 15 2020 9:59AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.