Monument record MDR9386 - Retaining Wall, Sheep Pasture Incline, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- REVETMENT (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
NGR: SK 30607 56129 - SK 30421 56155. Drystone wall, constructed of irregular gritstone blocks. Begins as a boundary wall alongside the railway, but as it rises up the Sheep Pasture Incline it becomes a retaining wall. It is then part of the bridge over Intake Lane. There are large, regular gritstone blocks laid in courses at the bottom of the wall and smaller irregular gritstone blocks at the top of the wall. It appears that the larger blocks form the retaining wall, while the smaller ones form the boundary wall at trackbed level. The wall ends after Intake Lane Bridge, although a wall in poor condition appears to follow the line past the quarry to a rock cutting. (1)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 44.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 59, 67.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.11.
- <4> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 11.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3051 5613 (243m by 37m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM