Monument record MDR939 - Shuttlestone barrow (site of?), Hartington Nether Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CONTRACTED INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
(SK 1649 5902) Site of Shuttlestone barrow? (1). A mutilated barrow in a plantation upon Parwich Moor, called Shuttlestone, originally about four feet high, was examined on the 3rd June 1848, when a single inhumation was found accompanied by a round heeled rivetted dagger, a flat bronze axe, a jet bead and a circular flint. (2,3). Nothing of interest was seen in the indicated field which has been under plough for several years. The note on Authority 1 is anonymous. (4). SK 165 590. Destroyed or lost barrow excavated by Bateman in 1848 'In a plantation upon Parwich Moor, called Shuttlestone'. There is no extant site recorded to match this description. It was presumably near Shuttlestone Farm (SK 16555905 - now gone). However, there are no plantations in the immediate vicinity - also the site is well outside Parwich parish, although Bateman did not necessarily observe parish boundaries in his locational descriptions. Thus it is possible that there was a second 'Shuttlestone' somewhat further south, closer to Parwich Moor. Bateman excavated at the centre of the barrow and found a rock cut grave under an earthen mound. There was a male inhumation lying on its left side (?contracted), with a bronze dagger by the left upper arm, with two rivets and a handle of horn. Also a jet bead and a circular flint (?scraper) by the head. By the left thigh was a bronze flat axe in a wooden handle. (7).
- <1> SDR4088 Map: Sheffield City Museum. Corr 6".
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 34-35.
- <3> SDR6834 Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1955. 'The Transition from the late Neolithic to the Early Bronze Age', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 75, pp 77-112. p112.
- <4> SDR6298 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-JUL-66.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p48.
- <6> SDR9716 Index: NDAT. 1098. 1098.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:59.
|Grid reference||SK 164 590 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON NETHER QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2009 10:52AM