Monument record MDR9390 - Jib Crane, Sheep Pasture Incline, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- JIB CRANE (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Small timber crane with fixed swinging arm and two supporting timber legs. Described in 1989 as having rotted timbers requiring replacement. One of only a few left in situ in the county. (1) A three-legged jib crane, constructed of a crane arm attached to a central pillar, which is 6m high. The pillar is supported by two angled beams, approximately 10m long, which are sunk into the ground. One of the beams is anchored by a square, drystone construction, 3x3mx2m high. All the fixtures between the beams are of iron, which are rusting. The wood is weathered and beginning to rot, and the base of the crane arm is almost rotten through and very unstable. (2)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 15.2, with photos.
- <2> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 48.
- <3> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 68.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.11.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
|Grid reference||SK 3040 5613 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM