Monument record MDR9400 - Retaining Wall, Sheep Pasture Top, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- REVETMENT (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
NGR: SK 30043 56190 - SK 30029 56191. Approximately 20m of retaining drystone wall constructed from large irregular gritstone blocks. After approximately 16m, the wall juts out approximately 2m to the north and becomes more regular, with better dressed stones, often with tooling and laid in a more regular fashion. Maps show the end of the wall at the start of the engine pit shed. The wall reaches 2m high. (1)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 58.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 90.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.11.
- <5> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 27, 28.
- <6> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <7> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. Inside front cover.
- <8> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 61-62.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3003 5618 (18m by 3m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM