Monument record MDR9403 - Boiler House (remains of), Sheep Pasture Top, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- BOILER HOUSE (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Photographs show that to the west of the engine house there was another building with a single-pitched roof, which was attached to the engine house. Maps show that the building did not reach as far as the rock face, but a square structure jutted out to the face from the building. This part of the structure survives as a 3m x2m and 4m high tower, constructed from regularly dressed and evenly laid mortared gritstone blocks set into the rock face. The rock face curves inward at the west, therefore, the dimensions given are the maximum taken from the east side of the structure. The east facing elevation is flat but the north facing elevation has gritstone blocks emerging from it in an uneven pattern, suggesting it was once attached to another structure. Above the tower is a block of bricks and a hole formed by an arch of bricks that forms the beginning of the flue, which continues up the hill to the chimney. To the east of the structure are more gritstone blocks and re-used fish-bellied rails supporting the structure against the rock face. There are bricks and gritstone blocks filling large fractures in the rock face. (1)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 60.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 74-78.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.11.
- <5> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 27.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3005 5617 (4m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM