Monument record MDR9406 - Spoil Heap, Sheep Pasture Top, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- SPOIL HEAP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
NGR: SK 29993 56193 - SK 29891 56155. Elliptically shaped long mound that runs parallel to the boundary wall on top of the slope of a hill. It is approximately 0.7m at its highest point and is clearly a spoil heap from dumped material. It was presumably dumped before the boundary wall [SMR 9796] was laid. It could be spoil from the railway cutting or a quarry scoop for gaining wall material, otherwise it may be unrelated to the railway. The material can be seen to have spread approximately 10m down the side of the hill from the top of the mound. (1)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 64.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 88.
- <3> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 93.
- <4> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 62, 65.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2992 5616 (141m by 59m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM