Monument record MDR942 - Barrow, Gotham, Parwich
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
(Possibly area SK 184583). A large tumulus five feet high, near Gotam (sic) was opened on the 1st April 1847 by Bateman and re-examined on the 23rd August 1847. Two cists were found on either side of the mound, both containing single inhumations covered with numerous large stones. The inhumation found in April was accompanied by two pieces of stag's horn. The second inhumation lay on its left side in a contracted position and was accompanied by a flint spear-head and a small bronze awl. During the April excavation, burnt scattered cow's teeth, two crude flint implements and an antler tine were found in the centre of the barrow. (1,2,5,6). There are no indications of antiquity in the area noted by Authority 1 and an authority for this location could not be found. The tumulus was not located. (3,5). Barnatt echoes this conclusion stating the barrow is probably destroyed or lost. (6). The location of the barrow is unknown, however, the point on the map has been plotted using the NDAT card grid reference. (7).
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. pp 104-105.
- <2> SDR16969 Bibliographic reference: Abercromby, J. 1912. Bronze Age Pottery of the British Isles.
- <3> SDR6282 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 28-NOV-66.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p13.
- <5> SDR9888 Index: NDAT. 1682. 1682. 1682.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:35.
- <7> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||SK 184 583 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2008 2:47PM