Monument record MDR9424 - Railway bridge, nr. Steeple Grange; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Bridge constructed of mortared gritstone blocks, carefully dressed with tooling, and ashlar cut masonry with pronounced keystone. Gritstone lintels separate the bridge from the boundary wall above. Approximately the first 0.5m of the bridge is of regular laid blocks, which then start to form an arch. The tunnel is 4m wide and 9m long, while the bridge is approximately 7m long at the top. At the foot of the bridge, mortared blocks spread out a further 2m on the NW side. The bridge was constructed first with retaining walls built against it.
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 82.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 122.
- <3> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 51.
- <4> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <5> SDR19341 Bibliographic reference: Coleford, I C. 1996. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 9.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV. 10.
- <7> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
|Grid reference||SK 29022 55556 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM