Monument record MDR944 - Remains of barrow, between Parwich and Pike Hall
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- None recorded
A segment about eight yards wide, of a large barrow originally thirty yards in diameter, crossed by a wall, between Parwich and Pike Hall. It was examined on the 11th October 1851 by Carrington when part of a human skull and a piece of flint were found. It had been excavated several years before and several inhumations and a brass plate had been found. (1,2,4). In a field survey in 1966 the barrow was not located and no recorded barrow between Pikehall and Parwich conforms to this description. (3). This barrow is probably destroyed or lost according to Barnatt. Twigg and Dakin excavated the mound pre 1851 and found several skeletons. One of these had a skull which had a slice missing (trepanation?) [or, as Bateman suggests, evidence of Cromwell's fallen army?]. A brass plate was also found. Carrington's excavation in the undisturbed part of the barrow found part of a human skull, a piece of flint and some other bones. (7). The location of this barrow is unknown and as the grid references from both the NDAT card and Barnatt's barrow survey are only four figures, the point has been removed from the map. (8).
- <1> SDR9220 Unpublished document: Carrington, S. 1859. MS.
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p183.
- <3> SDR6298 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR9887 Index: NDAT. 1681. 1681. 1684.
- <5> SDR8270 Unpublished document: Lewis, G (University of Liverpool). 1970. The Bronze Age in the Southern Pennines. p499.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:36.
- <8> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||SK 18 57 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 31 2007 9:53AM