Monument record MDR9441 - Railway bridge, Middleton Incline; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Stone railway bridge, allowing a track to pass beneath the Cromford & High Peak Railway. The bridge is smaller than the others towards Cromford, approximately 4m wide and 4.5m high. The tunnel is approximately 2.5m wide and 10m long. The bridge is constructed of large roughly dressed blocks laid in rough courses. Only the blocks of the archway are ashlar cut and properly dressed. The bridge is built all the way up to the railway track and is topped by a lintel. A large drystone embankment is built up against the bridge and abutts it. (1-4)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 99.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 148.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV. 14.
|Grid reference||SK 28213 55169 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM